TGIF! Good morning, everyone,
Winter has arrived and with it all the colds, flu and so much more. We are all aware of the new CANINE INFECTIOUS RESPIRATORY Virus that is going around and we have all become alert and aware of everywhere our dogs go. I have been following it everywhere and as a Mom to a senior it got me more concerned as Layla loves being outdoors and when in parks roam around so decided to do some real research.
One of the wake up calls for me was the email I received from my vet clinic, The San Francisco Animal Medical Centre where we went last week as they invited all their clients to the opening of a new section, An Oncology Department and MRI, and they will be adding more in the near future. I am really excited to have everything under one roof and knowing the staff and vets makes it a lot easier. Layla’s vet was there, and she thanked me for the mention in my Thanksgiving post and loved that I shared my list of supplements that I give Layla and complemented me that I am a wonderful Dog Mom, which made me feel good.
I got permission from Dr. Judy Morgan to share here from her blog:
What foods strengthen the immune system?
- Blueberries nourish Blood and Yin, clear heat, have antioxidant properties, and play an essential role in the respiratory tract’s immune defense system.
- Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, is a Chi (energy) tonic and resolves stagnation.
- Oily fish like sardines are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, have anti-inflammatory properties, and are a Blood and Chi tonic.
- Broccoli is rich in vitamins, has antioxidant properties, tonifies Blood, and clears heat. Serve steamed or grind into small pieces and serve raw.
- Sweet potato reinforces the spleen and stomach, has antioxidant properties, and is rich in beta carotene and vitamin A.
- Spinach is rich in vitamins C and E, flavonoids, carotenoids, and is a Blood tonic.
- Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, warms the lungs and arrests cough. Ginger is a warm herb; if a high fever is present, use peppermint or spearmint.
- Garlic breaks down phlegm, reinforces the stomach, and aids digestion. Like ginger, garlic has warming properties and is not recommended if fever is present.
- Red bell pepper is a rich source of vitamin C and promotes circulation.
- Ground almonds transform phlegm and moisten the lungs.
What supplements strengthen the immune system?
Turkey Tail Mushrooms boost immune cell production, combat infections, and alleviate inflammation.
Vitamin C, an antioxidant, helps maintain healthy immune system function and is also good for arthritis.
Colostrum supplies immunoglobulins (antibodies) and cytokines which are important components of the immune system.
Probiotics support the immune function and gut health.
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin. It is important to test current levels of Vitamin D in the body as too much is toxic. Be sure to test levels before administering. On the other hand, low Vitamin D leaves the immune system compromised. Foods such as egg yolks and oily fish (sardines) can be given in place of Vitamin D without the risk of toxicity.
Fresh or Freeze-Dried Lung like treats like and lung can be a great food or treat to support respiratory function.
You can read more about her on: https://www.drjudyu.com/
Mushroom Supplements – If you shop at Real Mushrooms, you have a 10% coupon with LaylasWoof
Another very interesting resource is the Q&A today by Dr Rob Silver from Real Mushrooms ad Joni Kamlet. They answered a lot of questions and I found it very interesting plus I got from them all the answers I needed to keep Layla healthy and safe. One of the products that stood out for me is 5 Defenders which has all the mushrooms needed to keep her immune system healthy plus they mentioned a new product that would be on the market soon which is a daily mushroom supplement called Daily Dawg.
This document says it all: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Blwh02xzkmWtdFeODmOPLL4krdT9WvIJ/edit
So, I hope all this information will help everyone keep their pups healthy and happy.
Before we end off this week, we want to wish everyone a Happy Hanukkah, the Miracle of Lights and please keep your pets safe. Layla has a message for you as always, see the link below :
Happy Hanukkah Everyone, be safe and have a wonderful weekend
With a woof and love from Layla